Edinburgh Castle History
Edinburgh Castle History, In the Beginning,
Edinburgh Castle history, the Castle Rock was formed over 300 million years ago by volcanic eruptions. The first evidence of inhabitants on the Edinburgh Castle Rock was in the Bronze Age circa 1500 BC. Evidence of an Iron Age fort has been unearthed dated circa 90 BC. The first writings about a fortress on Edinburgh Castle Rock circa 600 AD in a poem called “Gododdin” which tells of the Gododdin a race of warriors who lived in the south-east of Scotland and north-east of England. They left the fortress of Din Eiden (Edinburgh) and went from the castle to do battle with the Angles of Northumbria. The Gododdin were wiped out and the Angles of Northumbria took control of the area. Next Malcolm II took over control of the area in 1016 at the Battle of Carham and extended the borders of Scotland to the River Tweed as Northumbria extended as for as the River Forth.
Edinburgh Castle History
Edinburgh Castle originally built of wood and later by stone, by Malcolm III circa 1070 and then fortified and extended in stone by King David I circa 1130 including the building of a small Chapel for his mother Margaret, which is now the oldest surviving building in Edinburgh Castle. A settlement soon emerged around the Castlehill slop and over time extended to where St Mary Street is now. Only a few houses were built on the north side of the hill as it was a severe slop and difficult to build on. The south side in the valley a small group of hamlets were built as the area was used as a market place to sell livestock and food, this is now known as the Grassmarket.
Over the years many invaders took control of Edinburgh Castle, battle after battle ensued that would define Scotland. Edinburgh was surrounded by a wall to the south east and west and a Loch was formed to the North which gave the Castle and settlement protection from invaders. The next major change to Edinburgh came with the plight of the Irish in 1740, the Edinburgh area almost doubled in population from 60,000 to 100,000. As the area could not sustain the large influx of people the king decided to have a new town built which started with the North Bridge which spanned the Nor Loch to the land in the north at Multrees Hill. Then the Nor Loch was drained, the process began in 1763 and a canal was built so the loch could empty. In 1767 the first house were built in the new town and the city of Edinburgh has extended slowly ever since. The port area of Leith which was to the north of Edinburgh became part of Edinburgh in 1920. Now Edinburgh has approximately 500,000 occupants living over 120 square miles. The Royal Mile was given its name in 1901 as it was the road that was used by the Royals to and from Edinburgh Castle and the Palace of Holyrood House.
Links to all parts of the Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle to Arthur Seat.