East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
The Things to see in East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh are the Sir Walter Scott Monument, Spanish Civil War Memorial, Statues David Livingstone, Statue of Lord Provost Adam Black, Statue of Professor John Wilson. In December through to January there is a German Christmas Market and a Fun Fare.
Princes Street Gardens are a public park in the centre of Edinburgh in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle. Princes Street is approximately 2 klms in length with shops on the north side and gardens on the south side. Before the gardens were formed a Loch (Lake) surrounded the Castle Rock. The Nor Loch stretched from under the North Bridge where the Waverley Station is now situated, to the far end of the Castle Rock at Kings Stables Road. The draining of the Nor Loch was required due to the fact that it had been heavily polluted from centuries of sewage draining downhill from the Old Town. The draining of the Nor Loch began in 1759 and the Gardens were laid out in 1830 and redesigned in 1849 due to the railway being laid.
David Livingstone Statue East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
The bronze statue of David Livingstone was erected in 1876. David Livingstone was an explorer and Scottish missionary. (MAR 1813 – MAY 1873) Deep in Africa, Livingstone lost contact with the outside world for six years. In 1871 Henry Morton Stanley was sent as a publicity stunt by The New York Herald to find him, eventually tracking Livingstone to the shores of Lake Tanganyika and giving rise to the saying for which he is best known. “Dr. Livingstone, I presume?”
Scott Monument East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
A 200-foot-high monument to Scottish Author Sir Walter Scott was erected in Princes Street Gardens in 1840 in his honour and funded mainly by another author, Catherine Sinclair, author of Holiday House. Climb the steps to the top for a wonderful view of Edinburgh city centre. There is a replica of the Monument on the corner of St Colme Street, down from Charlotte Square which was erected in honour of Catherine Sinclair by way of public donation. The internal Statue is of Walter Scott and there are many other statues on the monument and carved heads of writers and poets.
The inscriptions on the plaque on the stone reads; The Scott Monument | This Plaque and stone commemorate | the restoration of the nearby memorial | to one of Scotland’s greatest writers | SIR WALTER SCOTT (1771- 1832). | The monument was built between | 1840 and 1846 with stone from the | Binny quarry in West Lothian which | was specially reopened for the | 1998 – 1999 restoration. | The project was supported by | The Heritage lottery fund | and Historic Scotland | The City of Edinburgh Council
The bronze plaque on the monument facing Princes Street reads; THE SCOTT MONUMENT | ERECTED 1840 – 44 TO THE MEMORY OF | SIR WALTER SCOTT Bart. | 1771 -1832 | BORN IN EDINBURGH. LAWYER AND ARDENT PATRIOT. | HE WON ENDURING FAME AS A ROMANTIC POET AND | THE AUTHOR OF THE WAVERLEY NOVELS. THIS | MONUMENT WAS DESIGNED BY GEORGE MEIKLE KEMP | AND THE STATUE OF SCOTT IS BY SIR JOHN STEELL.
Sir Walter Scott Statue Scott Monument Edinburgh
Sir Walter Scott in the centre of the Scott Monument in East Princes Street Gardens depicts Sir Walter Scott seated with his dog (Maida). Sir John Steel sculpted the large white marble block which cost circa £2000 and was positioned in 1846 where it can be seen now.
Adam Black Statue East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
Adam Black was born in Charles Street Edinburgh in Feb of 1784, the son of a builder and educated at the High School and Edinburgh University. He was twice Lord Provost of Edinburgh. In 1826 he was the main bookseller in Edinburgh. He published the 7th, 8th and 9th editions of Encyclopaedia Britannica. He died of old age, 89 almost twice as long a life as most lived in these times. The statue of Adam Black was erected in 1877.
Professor John Wilson East Princes Street Gardens Edinburgh
John Wilson born 1785 near Paisley in the west of Scotland. A Lawyer and writer and was appointed Professor of Moral Philosophy at Edinburgh University in 1819. He lived in Ann Street in the new town and Died in Edinburgh 1854. He is buried in the Dean Cemetery less than a mile from where he lived. John Wilson made his name writing for Blackwood’s Magazine under the pseudonym of Christopher North. He had many influential friends of one was Sir Walter Scott.
Edinburgh Spanish Civil War Memorial Commemorative Stone East Prince Street Gardens
The stone is to honour the volunteers from the Lothians and Fife who fought in the Spanish Civil War. The Spanish Civil War was fought from 1936 to 1939.
Mound Precinct Princes Street Edinburgh
The Mound Precinct is at the west end of East Princes Street Gardens which is the centre of Princes Street Edinburgh Both Royal Scottish Academy Of Art Gallery and the Scottish National Art Gallery main doors can be accessed from the precinct.
MODEL OF EDINBURGH CITY CENTRE FOR THE PEOPLE WITH IMPAIRED VISION
This model was presented to the city of Edinburgh by the staff of Marks and Spencer Edinburgh in 1984 to mark the company’s centenary. This relief was crafted to enable people with impaired vision to enjoy the grandeur of the city. Tie plaques are also in brail.