Duns Scottish Borders
Duns Scottish Borders as history books have mentioned Duns circa 1210 first written mention of Duns is said to be when a ‘Hugo de Duns’ signed a charter. The town was created a Burgh of Barony in 1490 this is different from a royal burgh as it gives the land owner the rights and not the town.
Sited to the west of Duns Law, the original castle was built about 1320 by Randolph, Earl of Moray, the nephew of King Robert the Bruce.
The Mercat Cross, Duns, Scottish Borders
The Mercat Cross is seen in all market towns, in Duns it can be found in the Market Square.
John Duns Scotus, Duns, Scottish Borders
John Duns Scotus was born in Duns. A cairn stands outside the cottage to commemorate the 700th anniversary of his John Duns Scotus birth. John Duns Scotus, is considered to be one of the most important philosopher-theologians of his time. He was born in 1266 and died in 1308. Written on the cairn “John Duns Scotus | The subtle doctor | and member of the Franciscan Order | was born on this site 1266 | whenever his distinguished name is uttered | he sheds lustre on Duns and Scotland | The town and land that bore him | erected by the Franciscan Order | on the seventh century of his birth | September 1966”.
Jim Clark Museum, Duns, Scottish Borders
A museum dedicated to the life of Jim Clark who became a motor racing world champion and legend of the sport. His Museum can be found at 44 Newtown Street, Duns. Jim Clark’s grave is at Chirnside Parish Church a farmer by trade. He died in a race in Hockenheim in 1968 doing what he loved racing.
Chirnside Parish Church
Grave of Jim Clark
Edrom Parish Church
Cranshaw Parish Church
Cranshaw Parish Church was built in 1739 and redesigned in 1899 The Church has a royal connection as King James VI attended prayers here. The Royal Coat of Arms were installed within the church by James VI.