Covenant Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh

Covenant Close was named after a mansion house where the national covenant was kept for signing.

The Scots people wishing to keep their identity both religious and national. Started a movement against Archbishop Laud and his beliefs to reform the church. A ceremony took place in Greyfriars Kirk Edinburgh In February of 1638 which all the Scottish Noblemen, Hierarchy, Ministers and Officials attended and signed the National Covenant, which committed them under God to preserving the purity of the Kirk. The National Covenant was a protest against interference with the religion of the free people. The mansion later became a Tavern.

Covenant Close  High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Return to lists of Closes

 

Link to Burnet’s Close

Return to list of Closes