Cooper’s Close Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh

Cooper's close royal mile canongate edinburgh

Cooper’s Close was named after a wealthy merchant and engraver Richard Cooper in 1749 and owned further property in the High street. He also sold land to James Gentle of Gentle’s Close. The Cooper family has a connection to the close as a Margaret Cooper lived here in the 1840s

Cooper’s Close was where the barrels were made and supplied to the breweries. Positioned in the middle of the Holyrood Brewery site. The first Brewery was at Holyrood Abbey and moved to the site of Horse Wynd now where the Scottish Parliament Stands. A Cooper is a skilled tradesman who makes or repairs casks and barrels for Breweries.

 Cooper's Close Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh  Cooper's Close Canongate Royal Mile Edinburgh

 

Link to Crichton’s Close