Cockenzie & Port Seton East Lothian
Cockenzie East Lothian has a long history with the burgh status created in 1591 by James VI of Scotland. There is a harbour and large mansion house that have been part of Cockenzie East Lothian for over 300 years. Cockenzie East Lothian is a small town on the east coast of Scotland just outside of Musselburgh close to the site of the historic Battle of Prestonpans where the Jacobite army led by Bonnie Prince Charlie defeated the English army led by Sir John Cope. Cockenzie and Port Seton have merged into one town.
Cockenzie Power Station
The Power Station at Cockenzie East Lothian, opened in 1967 and was used over 500.000 tons of coal which was crushed by the grinding ring and steel balls to generate electricity to power all the houses in Edinburgh for over 10 years.
Cockenzie and Port Seton Harbour
The Cockenzie Harbour built circa 1630 by the Seton family to transport salt and coal to all parts of Europe. A further harbour at Port Seton was built around the same time and later rebuilt by the Stevenson brothers (father and uncle of Robert Louis Stevenson) in 1835 for the Cadell (Caddell) family who acquired the area in 1774.
Cockenzie Power Station Mural
The Mural of the Power Station is one of the prestoungrange murals which can be seen in and around Prestonpans (link to murals).
Cockenzie House and lookout Tower
Cockenzie House the home to the family Caddell (Cadell) of Cockenzie. The Cadell family were land owners of Cockenzie for over 200 years purchasing the land in 1779. The original lands of Cockenzie being owned by George Seton, 5th Earl of Winton who had the lands taken fro him by the crown as he had been a supporter of the Jacobites and the old pretender ( James Francis Edward Stuart). The lands were then purchased by the York Buildings Company in 1719. The York buildings company interests were in the production and distribution of coal and salt and became the largest company in Scotland.