(Lord Cockburn Street)
Cockburn Street High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
Lord Henry Cockburn Born: 26 Oct 1779 Died: 26 Apr 1854
Lord Cockburn Street was built as an access to the Waverley Bridge Road at Waverley Rail Station from the High Street near to the Tron Kirk. The Plans for Cockburn Street were submitted over a lengthy period circa 1850 and was completed in 1859. The most prominent building in Lord Cockburn Street was and still is The Scotsman Building where the Scotsman newspaper was published and printed after moving from the High Street. Lord Cockburn Street was named after Lord Cockburn who was one of the most respected Gentlemen of Edinburgh. He Died in 1854 and a Carved Stone of his Head and Shoulders are above No1-3 Cockburn Street now the Edinburgh Military Tattoo Offices. The Edinburgh Military Tattoo Office was originally built as a hotel (The Cockburn hotel built circa 1862). The carving above door of a head is Lord Cockburn with gilt writing MacPherson on lintel. ( Hotel and Previous owner). Lord Cockburn was a conservationist and saved many important buildings in Edinburgh. The street is named after him. Lord Henry Cockburn died in 1854 at the age of 74. A conservationist the Cockburn Association which was established in 1875 was named after Lord Henry Cockburn. A statue of Lord Henry Cockburn stands in the north-east corner of Parliament Hall in the High Street Edinburgh. When Cockburn Street was built it cut through (circa 1859) many old closes, which evidence of can be seen in Old Fleshmarket Close where the smallest pub in Edinburgh can be found on the north side of the severed close. Now Cockburn Street has a good selection of retail shops restaurants, fast food outlets bars and accommodation.
Things to look for in Cockburn Street
Plaque at foot of Craig’s Close West Side Cockburn Street