Candlemaker Row Edinburgh
The Ancient Corporation of Candlemaker’s Hall stood close to the Greyfriars gates on the west side of Candlemaker Row. This is where the street name originated. The Candlemakers Hall was built in 1722 and still can be seen today. The Row was where all the candlemakers of Edinburgh would make candles and the smell was on occasion so strong that residents of Candlemaker Row tried to stop the trade.
Candlemaker Row winds up from the Grassmarket at Cowgatehead to Greyfriars Place at George IV Bridge and Chamber Street where the Scottish National Museum Stands. At the top of Candlemaker Row is where the statue of Greyfriars Bobby can be found an icon of the City of Edinburgh. A small street of to the east halfway up Candlemaker Row (Merchant Street ) has restaurants, pubs and accommodation and the George IV Bridge can be sent stretching over the street the street has no other exit. On the west side of of Candlemaker Row stands Greyfriars Graveyard, where many famous Edinburgh people are buried and there are Ghostly goings on with haunted graves and unexplained noises.
The Plaque underneath the statue of the dog reads; A tribute to the affectionate fidelity of Greyfriars Bobby in 1858 this faithful dog followed the remains of his master to Greyfriars Kirkyard and lingered near the spot until his death in 1872. With permission erected by the Baroness Burdett Coutts.
At the foot of Candlemaker Row Stands and old Cowgate Church