Broughton Edinburgh was once where Powderhall Refuse Depot stables and offices were. The Victorian building was built in 1893 when household rubbish was collected by horse-drawn carts. A lot of which was ash from the coal fires. This could be the origin of the name Powderhall., as all the ash was deposited behind the building. The Stables were also used when visiting cavalry were at the Edinburgh International Festival. Broughton is part of the New Town North but has borders with Leith Walk and Pilrig Street which once was outside Edinburgh (1920).