Bolton East Lothian Scotland
Bolton near Haddington East Lothian was where Robert Burns’ family stayed (mother and brother and later sister). Robert Burns’ brother Gilbert Burns (1760 – 1827) and mother, Agnes Broun 17 March 1732 – 14 January 1820 (and later his sister Annabella) moved to Bolton East Lothian from Ayrshire. Gilbert oversaw the building of the new Bolton parish church which was completed in 1809. The cottage at Grant’s Brae is no longer there, the house was demolished and a roadside monument stands in its place. No more than one hundred yards northeast lies the drinking well used by the Burns family. It was lovingly restored in 1932 and dedicated to Agnes Broun. The dedication states: “Drink of the pure crystals and not only be ye succoured but also refreshed in the mind. To the mortal and immortal memory and in noble tribute to her, who not only gave a son to Scotland but to the whole world and whose own doctrines he preached to humanity that we might learn?”.
The words from the monument at Grant’s Brae; NEAR THIS SPOT STOOD THE HOUSE IN WHICH | LIVED AND DIED | THE MOTHER | BROTHER AND SISTER OF SCOTLAND’S NATIONAL POET ROBERT BURNS
The Well at Grant’s Brae Bolton East Lothian
Where Robert Burns mother Agnes Burns (nee Broun) collected the water for the household needs. The house where she lived (Grants Brae) with her son Gilbert and daughter Annabella, brother and sister of Robert Burns is near to Bolton East Lothian. Agnes Burns died 14 January 1820 age 88 years and is buried in Bolton Church yard as are Gilbert, Annabella and Gilbert’s daughter.
Bolton Parish Church East Lothian
A church was first on this site circa 1244, later the present church was built and overseen by Gilbert Burns brother of Robert Burns.