Advocate’s Close High Street Royal Mile Edinburgh
Advocate’s Close was named after Sir James Stewart of Goodtrees (Lord Advocate of Scotland 1692 – 1713). The Stewart family owned and lived in the Close from 1648 – 1769. Advocates Close has had many names as the name would change by the owner at the time. Oliver Cromwell visited here on two occasions. other occupants of the Close were David Dalrymple, Lord Westhall, Andrew Crosbie and the artist John Scougal to William III. Also the Mansion of Bishop Bothwell circa 1590. There are two doorway with inscribed lintels No 2
Old Scottish tradition the initials of both husband and wife and date they moved in to house, Clement Cor built the tenement circa 1590, his wife, Helen Bellenden.Inscriptions : C.C H.B SPES . ALTERA . VITAE (Hope The Other Life). 1590 The other lintel Inscriptions : O Lord (not readable).