Aberlady East Lothian Scotland
Aberlady East Lothian is a small village on the east coast of Scotland with a bay and was designated a Local Nature Reserve in 1952 being the first to receive the status in Britain. The headquarters of the Scottish Ornithologists’ Club is situated in Aberlady and is named after George Waterston, a founder of the club which has a library that has over 3000 books on birds the largest ornithological library in Scotland.
Aberlady also has two golf courses Kilspindie where there is an old ruin of Kilspindie Castle and a newer course Craigielaw Golf Club which has great views of the Firth of Forth and Fife.
Aberlady Bay Shipwrecks
In the bay at low tide remnants of shipwrecks and mini submarine and can be seen stuck there since the second world war. Aberlady was known as Port of Haddington circa 1635, but a harbour has been written about for centuries, as it was also the main passenger ferry for pilgrims to the isles Iona and Lindisfarne in the 7th century.
Aberlady Parish Church
Aberlady Parish Church has historic records dating back to circa 1450. 1452 a watch Tower was built then later the church was added and further addition were made 1509. Outside the church can be seen a loupin’ on stane which was step to assist the mounting and dismounting of a horse or coach.
Aberlady Mercat Cross
Aberlady Mercat Cross has lost its top and stands next to the cross cottage in the main street Aberlady. A mercat Cross will be found in a market towns and villages in Scotland it was where proclamations and news was passed on to the residents. A symbol of authority. The oldest mercat cross still in its original position can be seen in Prestonpans, one of five that have a platform for the proclamations and a drum house below which had steps up to the platform. The others being Edinburgh, Dundee, Perth, Aberdeen, Selkirk and Elgin, the later two were less ornate. The top of the cross will normally have a unicorn but older crosses have the towns coat of arms as seen on the Selkirk cross with a lion and a shield that would have showm the coat of arms.
The most prominent house at Aberlady is Gosford House on the Gosford Estate owned by the Earls of Wemyss and March, who resides here on his 5,000 acre estate. The house was design by Robert Adam and was completed in 1800. The House is available for private or corporate functions and weddings. The are many things to see in the grounds of Gosford and the grounds can be access with a permit for the day for £1.00. I found that access for easy from the Bothy across from Craigielaw golf course. (free car park). Francis Charteris of Amisfield 6th Earl of Wemyss designed the landscape of the grounds in 1779 the New House foundation stone was laid in 1791. Stables were built in 1790.
Things to see are the Curling House circa 1840 | The Mausoleum The Mausoleum was built by Francis, 5th Earl of Wemyss, 1723-1808, who died at Gosford on 24 August 1808 and was “buried there in a mausoleum erected by himself” | Ice House | Boat House | Lakes |Stables Garden Cottage | Bothy Cottage
Gosford House Boat House
Gosford House Ice House
Entrance to Gosford Estate Waled Garden Bothy and Car Park
Bothy Cottage Gosford House Estate
Garden Cottage Gosford House Estate
Lagoon Gosford House Estate
Gosford House Curling House
Earl of Wemyss Mausoleum
Activities range from:The Gosford Games is an interactive Highland Games event including demonstrations and participation with guests divided into teams vying to become Highland Games champions – Events range from throwing the Caber, Throwing the Wheat-sheaf, Highland Dancing to the Tug of War. Also available Clay Pigeon shooting, Archery, Cricket skills and drills plus mini matches, Whisky tasting, Falconry, displays and handling, Horse riding for beginners to advanced and Guided nature walks. Aberlady has high quality restaurants and accommodation.